Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my child is ill?

Please notify the school by 9.30am on the first day of absence, and then each subsequent day that your child is absent from school. We have a 48 hour exclusion policy if your child has been ill with sickness and/or diarrhoea.  Please note if you are contacted by the school office to explain your child’s absence, this is will be marked as an unauthorised absence.


What happens if my child is taken ill during school or has an accident during the school day?

In the event of your child becoming unwell or receiving an injury at school every effort is made to contact you. In the unlikely event of a more serious injury the school would ensure your child receives the appropriate emergency treatment whilst making every effort to contact you as quickly as possible.


How long should my child be kept off school following sickness/diarrhoea?

To help us to contain the spread of infection, please keep your child away from school for 48 hours after symptoms have subsided.


Can I request time off during term times?

Leave during term-time is discouraged. However, if it is absolutely unavoidable then you should complete an Exceptional Leave of Absence Form, which is available from the office or under our Term time Leave of Absence tab, and submit it a minimum of one week before the requested leave period. Leave will only be authorised in exceptional circumstances.


What happens if my leave of absence request is unauthorised?

If your request is not authorised but you still decide to take your child out of school then their absence will be recorded as unauthorised in the register. This could result in a Penalty Notice or subject to court proceedings for failing to ensure your child's regular school attendance under section 444 of the Education Act 1996.


How do I book Breakfast Club and Stay & Play

Sessions must be booked via ParentPay.


How do I make email contact with school staff or Governors?

Please email the school office  in the first instance.


What do I do if my child needs medicine during the school day?

All medication must be handed into the school office and a medical consent form must be signed by the parent.   Please note that only doctor prescribed medication can be given by school staff.  This does not include off the shelf painkillers, antihistamine, etc


When is the termly Clubs letter circulated?

Usually around the last 2 weeks of each term.


Why am I not receiving any letters in the book bag?

Most letters are now sent out via email Scholarpack system.  Please ensure that the school office has your up to date details.


What happens if my child is late for school one morning?

Late children will need to enter school via the school office to be signed in our late register. If this is after 9am, it will be marked in the register as an unauthorised absence.


What happens if my child has headlice?

Please treat your child for headlice and then notify the school so that a standard letter can be circulated to a specific class.


How do I take my child out of school during the day for a medical appointment?

Please inform the school office.


Can I use the school car park?

No, this is for staff and visitors only.


What happens if I’m running late at the end of the school day?

Please telephone the school office and let them know so that arrangements can be made for your child.


How can I volunteer to help out in class?

Please speak with your child’s class teacher or the office manager  Anyone volunteering regularly at school will require a school DBS check to be carried out.


How do I add my child’s name to the Millfield Nursery waiting list?

Please complete the nursery registration form, located under the nursery tab.